(Revamping the blog. Please excuse the odd headings. Working on it!)

Writing History & Mysteries

When I'm not delving into historical research, I'm planning a character's demise.

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Have You Ever Heard of Little Willie Poems?

From Ruthless Rhymes for Heartless Homes


Harry Graham made his debut in 1902 when he wrote a collection of poems in a book titled Ruthless Rhymes for Heartless Homes, under the pen name of Col. D. Steamer. Here are two of the poems.


Willie saw some dynamite,
Didn't understand it quite.
Curiosity seldom pays.
It rained Willie seven days.


Little Willie, feeling well
Pushed his sister down the well.
Said his mother, drawing water;
It's mighty tough to raise a daughter!"


Little Willie poems have been popular ever since. In 1913 and 1914 The Brooklyn Eagle  ran a political cartoon every week called Ruthless Rhymes for Martial Militants. Below is one from 1944.
 
Willie in his roguish way
Tipped Grandpa on the fire one day.
Mother said, "My dear that's cruel!
But of course it does save fuel.


And now for mine. A Little Willie Poem by Cindy Amrhein

 Willie hated his next door neighbor.
Fed him to an alligator.
Skinned the gator with his knife.
Made a purse and shoes for his neighbor's wife.

Now it's your turn. Can you come up with a Little Willie poem? You can leave it in the comments below for all of us to enjoy!

(This is post #14 in the Ultimate Blog Challenge)
Share:

2 comments:

  1. Never heard of these poems but yours is pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Phil. I'm looking for a few more from newspapers. Had to change my source for one because I realized it wasn't free for others to read the 1944 article i they chose to do so. :(

    ReplyDelete

Anyone can comment. You don't need to jump through hoops or be a member of anything. Nice huh?

Available in paperback and eBook formats

Available in paperback and eBook formats

Now Available At:

Barnes & Noble
Amazon
The History Press
Walmart

Carried by over 40 college/university libraries across the county, according to daily updates by worldcat.org, including Columbia University, Oklahoma State, Texas A & M, and Yale University Law Library.

Book Trailer

Weekend Writing Warriors

Weekend Writing Warriors
WeWriWa

Bread & Butter the Murders of Polly Frisch

Bread & Butter the Murders of Polly Frisch
Available on Amazon

Other Great Reads

Followers

Recent Posts

A to Z - 2015

A to Z - 2014

A to Z - 2014

A to Z - 2013

A to Z - 2013

Goodreads

Cindy's bookshelf: read

Waiting for Harvey
4 of 5 stars
Alone, in a cabin in the woods, with a ghost. Who could ask for more in a ghost story? Harvey starts right out with a hint of foreboding in a conversation between brothers John and Erik. Already my curiosity is roused as to what happened...
tagged: books-i-read-to-me
James Potter and the Curse of the Gate Keeper
3 of 5 stars
I randomly downloaded this on my iPad when I hit the wrong button being a bumble fingers, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I've never read fanfic before. It was pretty good. But like many other people, it still can't compare to J. K. Row...
CHIMERAS
5 of 5 stars
I beta read a few chapters of a different book by this author (one that isn't out yet) so when this one was out I had to read it as it was the same character in the one a betaed a bit of--the character of Track. I have a fondness for thi...
tagged: books-i-read-to-me

goodreads.com