(Revamping the blog. Please excuse the odd headings. Working on it!)

Writing History & Mysteries

When I'm not delving into historical research, I'm planning a character's demise.

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Milk Carton Murders 32


SETUP: After the meeting with the Underwoods, and Dave's stint at church when the Underwoods show up (and some other stuff I can't tell you), Pepper calls him to meet her at the Lamont Cafe'. They are discussing the case. Remember the Boy Scout pine wood derby car Dave made as a kid when Samantha was a foster child at his house? Some of you asked if it was important, I said yes. It seems a little piece of balsa wood was stuck inside the stuffed dog that was in the coffin with Samantha, a toy Dave had won at the county fair and given her over twenty years ago. Pepper speaks first and tells him there was something carved into the soft wood. They have already figured out there is some connection to the Friends of Foster Families Program or the Wiscoy Dairy where many of the suspects involved in the foster program worked.

 Pepper flipped through her pad. “On one side it said, ‘Sammy Briggs August 22, 1987’, and underneath it, ‘Remember me. September 28, 1987.’”

“The August date had to be the week of the fair,” Dave surmised,  “probably the day I gave it to her. The September date is after she left us, way after. Do you think that was her last day?”

“If not the day, than close to it,” Pepper agreed, “and she might have guessed something was going to happen. What she carved on the other side was even more unsettling."

Dave squelched the other voice in his head from coming to the forefront of his mind. “I almost don’t want to know, but go ahead.”

Pepper looked up at him. “It said—the milk man is evil.”

***
I accidentally deleted my last post of The MCM, and along with it went all your wonderful comments. Although I retrieved the post from my history, did a copy/paste to redo the post the comments are gone forever. My apologies to those who took the time to leave them, and if I missed getting to your blog in return.

The link to the other Weekend Writing Warriors is here. You're bound to find something to pique your interest.

The Sunday Snippet writer's on Facebook are here. Between the two there is something for everyone. Thank you for any comments you leave me. Much appreciated!

I'm being a NaNoWriMo rebel and using the goal stats to get my back title, as they say, Kindleized. Is that a word? If not it is now. It's an 1860s true crime called Bread & Butter: The Murders of Polly Frisch (co-authored with my friend, Ellen Bachorski). It needs a go over to fix some typos and punctuation. I see things now that I didn't 13 years ago when it was first published. Wish me luck and good luck to all of those on the last week of NaNo!
*** 
BLURB:
When three small coffins are unearthed near the Wiscoy Creek during a routine dredging operation, it’s the last thing DAVE ROBERTSON, of the Lamont Weekly Times, expected. Pinned to the skeleton’s clothing are pictures from milk cartons of missing girls.

Dave is stunned to find that one of the girls is Sally―a foster child his parents had cared for through the Friends of Foster Families (FFF) program. Cold case files reveal the girls disappeared over 20 years ago. Knowing his house was the last place he saw Sally alive, he can’t help but suspect his dad.

How can he write the biggest story of his career if his father turns out to be the killer? If the voice in his head would shut up and let him remember, he might figure it out before he loses his mind and his dad is charged with murder.

Full blurb and snippet recap here.


Share:

26 comments:

  1. omigosh, that phrase "the milk man is evil" just sent shivers down my spine. Very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So . . . who's the milkman?

    Cindy, you're killing me, here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a fascinating story, love all the little bits and pieces of clues, SO inventive. Sigh. I cannot wait till I get to read this entire story in one sitting LOL. Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shivers up and down my spine. Scary. What you've written is as pertinent today as way back in time. Excellent eight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, that phrase she carved is so realistic! I could just hear it in a little girl's voice. I'm going to call you Miss Creepy from now on ;D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chilling. You have got me very intrigued by this mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! The evil milkman! Like every other week, you've got me at the edge of my seat!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear, that's so creepy. Amazing snippet, Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with the others, that is creepy! Loving this story and the way it's unfolding!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that reveal at the end. So chilling! I love reading this blog every weekend. Thank you for writing, and great eight!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've given me a severe case of the shivers! Fab snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy cow the Milk man is evil! what a great closing line to this snippet!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've got my attention. Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super snippet! Milk man is evil. Great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. But what does she mean by Milk Man? The man who delivers the milk? Or anyone who works for the company? (I suppose I'm dating myself.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is awesome! But you're leaving us hanging... again!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bonus point for you Sue for picking up on that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for all your comments this week. I'll still be hopping around to all of yours and the list throughout the week. I wish I could respond to each individual post here in the thread too, but alas, my template doesn't work that way.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Who is this evil milk man? Great 8! Left the readers hanging...again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gak! I've been saying that for years! LOL. Love this...and who is this mystery man, pray tell? ::waggles brows::

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oooh, you made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Great snippet, Cindy! Looking forward to unraveling the mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That last line was so powerful! Wow. *wants to know more* Also, I love the name Pepper for a girl. :) Great 8!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The milkman is evil - is that like - the butler did it?

    ReplyDelete
  24. "The milk man is evil," huh? Yeah, that is ominous. Just enough of a hint to raise questions, not enough to have solid answers. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Unsettling indeed...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, that's one big clue. But who is the milk man?

    ReplyDelete

Anyone can comment. You don't need to jump through hoops or be a member of anything. Nice huh?

Available in paperback and eBook formats

Available in paperback and eBook formats

Now Available At:

Barnes & Noble
Amazon
The History Press
Walmart

Carried by over 40 college/university libraries across the county, according to daily updates by worldcat.org, including Columbia University, Oklahoma State, Texas A & M, and Yale University Law Library.

Book Trailer

Weekend Writing Warriors

Weekend Writing Warriors
WeWriWa

Bread & Butter the Murders of Polly Frisch

Bread & Butter the Murders of Polly Frisch
Available on Amazon

Other Great Reads

Followers

Recent Posts

A to Z - 2015

A to Z - 2014

A to Z - 2014

A to Z - 2013

A to Z - 2013

Goodreads

Cindy's bookshelf: read

Waiting for Harvey
4 of 5 stars
Alone, in a cabin in the woods, with a ghost. Who could ask for more in a ghost story? Harvey starts right out with a hint of foreboding in a conversation between brothers John and Erik. Already my curiosity is roused as to what happened...
tagged: books-i-read-to-me
James Potter and the Curse of the Gate Keeper
3 of 5 stars
I randomly downloaded this on my iPad when I hit the wrong button being a bumble fingers, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I've never read fanfic before. It was pretty good. But like many other people, it still can't compare to J. K. Row...
CHIMERAS
5 of 5 stars
I beta read a few chapters of a different book by this author (one that isn't out yet) so when this one was out I had to read it as it was the same character in the one a betaed a bit of--the character of Track. I have a fondness for thi...
tagged: books-i-read-to-me

goodreads.com