(Revamping the blog. Please excuse the odd headings. Working on it!)

Writing History & Mysteries

When I'm not delving into historical research, I'm planning a character's demise.

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Milk Carton Murders 41


It's Weekend Writing Warriors time! When three small coffins are unearthed near the Wiscoy Creek during a routine dredging operation, it’s the last thing DAVE ROBERTSON, of the Lamont Weekly Times, expected. Pinned to the skeleton’s clothing are pictures from milk cartons of missing girls.(Photo from collection of the Wyoming County Historian)

SETUP:We are still in the county sheriff's office where Dave is looking at files and photos pulled from his attic kept from when his mother and father were foster parents to several children. Last week Pepper and Dave come across a group photo of the girls from when Dave's was a kid.


AND NOW THE SNIPPET:
Pepper picked it up and studied it for a moment. “Shit, all three of the girls  are in this one. Where was this taken?”
   
“It was one of the foster family picnics," said Dave. James Donley’s grandfather, Patrick Donley, was very supportive of the Friend’s of Foster Families group. He donated a lot of money to it in fact. That’s why he jumped on board when the missing children’s milk carton program started. His son Albert was pissed about it—thought it was a waste of space that should have been used for advertising.”





The link to the other Weekend Writing Warriors is here. You're bound to find something to pique your interest.

The Sunday Snippet writer's on Facebook are here. Between the two there is something for everyone. Thank you for any comments you leave me. Much appreciated!

 AND MY BIG NEWS OF THE WEEK....
If you're connected with me on Facebook or Twitter you already know. :) I signed a contract with The History Press to publish my non-fiction book on Indian land title in New York State. Due out sometime after May in 2015 (based on my deadlines. I'll know when as it gets closer.) Their focus is regional history, so a good choice for this particular book.
Share:

19 comments:

  1. Very natural feeling snippet. Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like he's the one who's the waste of space! Great snippet as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a jerk! Natural dialogue- nice snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart breaks for the lost children. You've written a wonderful eight, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great snippet you can really feel the emotions in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could feel the emotions here. Really? He didn't want to waste the space. Ugh! Jerk.
    It's a really great snippet when you can make the reader dislike someone with just a few printed words. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on the new book contract! I enjoyed the excerpt today, a further unraveling of the threads of mystery...this is just an extremely engrossing story and I always want MORE. Great 8!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the book contract, Cindy! And an interesting reaction to "wasting the space" showing the missing kids. Great snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just what I was thinking -- is grumpy Albert a suspect, too?

    (at this point, I'm willing to suspect Pepper, Cindy! :D )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Things just keep getting worse, don't they? The evidence is piling up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting snippet. Look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great 8! Can't wait for next week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice... this feels like it could turn out to be an important moment in the story.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hum, is Dave trying to draw the attention to Albert? That's a nice way to turning things around.

    ReplyDelete
  15. And congrats for the publishing contract!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh! Albert thought it a waste of space - - he's number one on my suspect list.
    Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on the contract! Fabulous. This is a great eight. And, just let me know when this book is coming out, it'll be purchased as soon as available!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Anyone can comment. You don't need to jump through hoops or be a member of anything. Nice huh?

Available in paperback and eBook formats

Available in paperback and eBook formats

Now Available At:

Barnes & Noble
Amazon
The History Press
Walmart

Carried by over 40 college/university libraries across the county, according to daily updates by worldcat.org, including Columbia University, Oklahoma State, Texas A & M, and Yale University Law Library.

Book Trailer

Weekend Writing Warriors

Weekend Writing Warriors
WeWriWa

Bread & Butter the Murders of Polly Frisch

Bread & Butter the Murders of Polly Frisch
Available on Amazon

Other Great Reads

Followers

Recent Posts

A to Z - 2015

A to Z - 2014

A to Z - 2014

A to Z - 2013

A to Z - 2013

Goodreads

Cindy's bookshelf: read

Waiting for Harvey
4 of 5 stars
Alone, in a cabin in the woods, with a ghost. Who could ask for more in a ghost story? Harvey starts right out with a hint of foreboding in a conversation between brothers John and Erik. Already my curiosity is roused as to what happened...
tagged: books-i-read-to-me
James Potter and the Curse of the Gate Keeper
3 of 5 stars
I randomly downloaded this on my iPad when I hit the wrong button being a bumble fingers, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I've never read fanfic before. It was pretty good. But like many other people, it still can't compare to J. K. Row...
CHIMERAS
5 of 5 stars
I beta read a few chapters of a different book by this author (one that isn't out yet) so when this one was out I had to read it as it was the same character in the one a betaed a bit of--the character of Track. I have a fondness for thi...
tagged: books-i-read-to-me

goodreads.com