(Revamping the blog. Please excuse the odd headings. Working on it!)

Writing History & Mysteries

When I'm not delving into historical research, I'm planning a character's demise.

Wednesday, April 02, 2014

B is for Bread and Butter the Murders of Polly Frisch


In 1856, in the rural town of Alabama, NY one woman's family suffered from multiple unexplained deaths. The town folk grew suspicious of the now remarried Polly Frisch. An investigation commenced, bodies were exhumed, an affair—exposed. Polly would be arrested for the murders of her first husband and daughters. Her fourteen-year-old son would testify against her. If found guilty, the punishment for such a crime was the gallows. Bread & Butter the Murders of Polly Frisch, written by Cindy Amrhein and Ellen Lea Bachorski,  is the true story of Polly Frisch who poisoned her family with arsenic and the five trials it took to convict her. Here is an excerpt:


In an article printed by the Republican Advocate, November 17, 1857, Polly claimed—that “she was innocent of this [meaning her family’s deaths] or any like offense, and attributed the prosecution to local excitement and prejudice.” From this statement it seems obvious she knew that the residents of Alabama didn’t like her or her unbecoming behavior. Maybe Polly’s calm exterior during the trials was because she knew she was innocent and thought justice would prevail. Did she do it or was the community trying to railroad her out of town? It wasn’t until we came across a certain newspaper article and scrutinized court documents that we felt Polly was guilty in some form.

Our hardcovers released yesterday. Hopefully the softcovers today, and Kindle and Nook editions this week. 


Stay tuned as I blog about other 19th century true crimes during the whole month of April!

This post is part of the April Blogging A to Z Challenge. Check out the list of other bloggers blogging on all types of subjects!

IWSG Badge
And I almost forgot it's the first Wednesday!  My first post for IWSG and I almost missed it! I guess my stickler for me these past few months was getting ready to publish. My list would be very long on all the things that went wrong trying to learn the new world of self-publishing. POD is different than offset, and ebooks? Wow. Learning curve there. But I get by with a little support from my writer friends! I look forward to meeting the folks over at ISWG and checking out their blogs and thoughts on writing. 


Share:

9 comments:

  1. That's a very interesting theme you have for your A to Z challenge. I like it. Welcome to the Insecure Writer's Support Group!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting topic. Catchy name for murders too. Welcome IWSG.

    Juneta at Writer's Gambit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the welcome to ISWG! Don't think I'd gotten through the new world of self publishing without support from my writer friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A month of gristly murders! What could be better :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool! Congratulations on the releases!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! I'm not in for the Challenge, alas I have too many challenges already. Sorry I'm late! Happy belated IWSG day. The murder thing is inventive. I'm reading Cold Blood by Truman Capote right now. Eye-opening stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am fascinated by this series, the most innovative A-Z challenge I've found. As a writer, I see variations and spinoffs galore. Thanks for the highly engaging posts. And you got me onto the forensic science site and now I'm off to the The Insecure Writers Group!

    ReplyDelete
  9. fascinating, loving your posts.

    ReplyDelete

Anyone can comment. You don't need to jump through hoops or be a member of anything. Nice huh?

Available in paperback and eBook formats

Available in paperback and eBook formats

Now Available At:

Barnes & Noble
Amazon
The History Press
Walmart

Carried by over 40 college/university libraries across the county, according to daily updates by worldcat.org, including Columbia University, Oklahoma State, Texas A & M, and Yale University Law Library.

Book Trailer

Weekend Writing Warriors

Weekend Writing Warriors
WeWriWa

Bread & Butter the Murders of Polly Frisch

Bread & Butter the Murders of Polly Frisch
Available on Amazon

Other Great Reads

Followers

Recent Posts

A to Z - 2015

A to Z - 2014

A to Z - 2014

A to Z - 2013

A to Z - 2013

Goodreads

Cindy's bookshelf: read

Waiting for Harvey
4 of 5 stars
Alone, in a cabin in the woods, with a ghost. Who could ask for more in a ghost story? Harvey starts right out with a hint of foreboding in a conversation between brothers John and Erik. Already my curiosity is roused as to what happened...
tagged: books-i-read-to-me
James Potter and the Curse of the Gate Keeper
3 of 5 stars
I randomly downloaded this on my iPad when I hit the wrong button being a bumble fingers, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I've never read fanfic before. It was pretty good. But like many other people, it still can't compare to J. K. Row...
CHIMERAS
5 of 5 stars
I beta read a few chapters of a different book by this author (one that isn't out yet) so when this one was out I had to read it as it was the same character in the one a betaed a bit of--the character of Track. I have a fondness for thi...
tagged: books-i-read-to-me

goodreads.com