(Revamping the blog. Please excuse the odd headings. Working on it!)

Writing History & Mysteries

When I'm not delving into historical research, I'm planning a character's demise.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

T is for Tumultuous

(Freaked myself out a little. Couldn't find my T post. I did it yesterday. I thought it was lost! Did it from my iPad and posted to the wrong blog. Whew! At that point I would of tossed in the towel I think, as this post was a bit of work. I'm back dating so it falls on the right day. Wow, that scared me.)
 ***
We left off with Pepper being kidnapped from the book club and Sheriff Clayton Nazzaro trying to find her.
 ***

Pepper didn't know if it was blood that trickled down her fingers or sweat.  She still couldn't see, but she could feel the synthetic zip strips tighten around her wrists as they swelled. She believed she was underground by the dampness of the floor and the uneven stone feel of the walls. Now Pepper understood why the wire she wore no longer worked. Even if she could speak, the tech at the police station wouldn't pick it up, or any sound for that matter. Sheriff Nazzaro would have no idea how to find her.



She needed to get what was over her eyes off, but with her arms secured behind her back and her ankles bound together it was difficult to maneuver. She twisted sideways. Using her shoulder against the wall as leverage she managed to get herself up into a sitting position. She scooted her butt backwards until she felt the wall behind her.

Without any food or drink for who knows how long, it took a few moments to catch her breath. She closed her eyes even though it made no difference. It wasn't like she hadn't been in this kind of situation before. When she worked undercover in Chicago it happened twice. The last time almost cost her her life. After that she did her best to disappear into small town life where nobody knew her. Her move to the little rural town of Lamont had been self-preservation.  Funny how the mind wandered in these situations, she thought.

Pepper turned her head to the side---right into the point of a jagged rock. She cussed but it wasn't intelligible. The pain brought some sense back to her brain. The band around her eyes was tight but she was able to hook an edge of it on the pointed stone. It didn't catch. She dug in again. She repeated the process until she felt a slight slip. This time she knew the trickle of moisture wasn't sweat. With a rake of her face against the stone she pushed in until the rock stripped away both skin and cloth. Her eyes were free.

She pulled her legs to her chest and rubbed her eyes and bloodied face against her knees. It took a few minutes for her to focus in the dark.  When she did, there was no mistake what had blocked her vision--a red polka dot scarf. Pepper let out a tumultuous yell. 

***

Today's words - T is for Tumultuous - is brought to you by Dennis, Buffalo Creativity Club 
and since I did an alternate S word yesterday due to time constraints  S is for Synthetic is brought to you by Tiffany Sill

This post is part of April's Blogging From A-Z Challenge and Camp NaNoWriMo. The rest of the A-Z bloggers can be found pinned in the links section of my sidebar. Hope to see you tomorrow!  
 
Share:

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you didn't throw in the towel! You can't leave Pepper like that. She's got to get away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The same scarf as Margie, it seems like a serial killer.

    ReplyDelete

Anyone can comment. You don't need to jump through hoops or be a member of anything. Nice huh?

Available in paperback and eBook formats

Available in paperback and eBook formats

Now Available At:

Barnes & Noble
Amazon
The History Press
Walmart

Carried by over 40 college/university libraries across the county, according to daily updates by worldcat.org, including Columbia University, Oklahoma State, Texas A & M, and Yale University Law Library.

Book Trailer

Weekend Writing Warriors

Weekend Writing Warriors
WeWriWa

Bread & Butter the Murders of Polly Frisch

Bread & Butter the Murders of Polly Frisch
Available on Amazon

Other Great Reads

Followers

Recent Posts

A to Z - 2015

A to Z - 2014

A to Z - 2014

A to Z - 2013

A to Z - 2013

Goodreads

Cindy's bookshelf: read

Waiting for Harvey
4 of 5 stars
Alone, in a cabin in the woods, with a ghost. Who could ask for more in a ghost story? Harvey starts right out with a hint of foreboding in a conversation between brothers John and Erik. Already my curiosity is roused as to what happened...
tagged: books-i-read-to-me
James Potter and the Curse of the Gate Keeper
3 of 5 stars
I randomly downloaded this on my iPad when I hit the wrong button being a bumble fingers, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I've never read fanfic before. It was pretty good. But like many other people, it still can't compare to J. K. Row...
CHIMERAS
5 of 5 stars
I beta read a few chapters of a different book by this author (one that isn't out yet) so when this one was out I had to read it as it was the same character in the one a betaed a bit of--the character of Track. I have a fondness for thi...
tagged: books-i-read-to-me

goodreads.com