(Revamping the blog. Please excuse the odd headings. Working on it!)

Writing History & Mysteries

When I'm not delving into historical research, I'm planning a character's demise.

Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Going Home

Friends 1965 - 652 Norfolk Ave., Buffalo, NY
Yesterday's post about the elm trees that I miss so much that ran up and down the street in my neighborhood when I was going up reminded me of a poem I wrote about 10+ years ago. In retrospect, it's a bit of a sing-songy rhyme but it captures the feeling well. I'm pretty sure I shot the photo above as I'm not in it but my brother is, eating an ice cream cone. My mother, being an artist, always let us paint with her oils and use the brownie camera.

***

GOING HOME
by Cindy Amrhein


Home is in our memories from days when we were young;
Of friends we never saw again, and childhood things we’d done.
But all is changed and different now that I am fully grown;
And I never can go home again. I never can go home.

Giant arching elm trees ran the whole length of my street.
A street with black top grayed with age that never burnt our feet.
“Come play my game!” clanked Kick-the-Can, as we’d hide on a warm summer’s eve.
Now I want to play, but the echoed clink, is the lone reply to me.

Children’s ghostly images, their voices in the wind;
In a lot that’s over grown with weeds where baseball fields had been.
The theater where dreams were formed has burned down to the ground;
And plazas grow upon the grave where movies once were found.

Yes, home is in the memories from days when we were young;
Of friends we never saw again and childhood things we’d done.
But all is changed and different now that I am fully grown;
And I’m longing to go home again, I’m longing to go home.

So when I die, if heaven is as I perceive to be,
And I can pick my place and time to spend eternity;
I’ll choose the friends and things that were when I was not yet grown;
Then truly I’ll be home again, yes, I’ll be truly home.

***
This is post #2 in the Ultimate Blog Challenge

Share:

2 comments:

  1. I'm not one for poetry, but that was great, I loved the old time photo the most though. I simply adore history, so old news is the best news to me, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had elm trees like that when I was growing up in Detroit too. And then they cut them all down.

    ReplyDelete

Anyone can comment. You don't need to jump through hoops or be a member of anything. Nice huh?

Available in paperback and eBook formats

Available in paperback and eBook formats

Now Available At:

Barnes & Noble
Amazon
The History Press
Walmart

Carried by over 40 college/university libraries across the county, according to daily updates by worldcat.org, including Columbia University, Oklahoma State, Texas A & M, and Yale University Law Library.

Book Trailer

Weekend Writing Warriors

Weekend Writing Warriors
WeWriWa

Bread & Butter the Murders of Polly Frisch

Bread & Butter the Murders of Polly Frisch
Available on Amazon

Other Great Reads

Followers

Recent Posts

A to Z - 2015

A to Z - 2014

A to Z - 2014

A to Z - 2013

A to Z - 2013

Goodreads

Cindy's bookshelf: read

Waiting for Harvey
4 of 5 stars
Alone, in a cabin in the woods, with a ghost. Who could ask for more in a ghost story? Harvey starts right out with a hint of foreboding in a conversation between brothers John and Erik. Already my curiosity is roused as to what happened...
tagged: books-i-read-to-me
James Potter and the Curse of the Gate Keeper
3 of 5 stars
I randomly downloaded this on my iPad when I hit the wrong button being a bumble fingers, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I've never read fanfic before. It was pretty good. But like many other people, it still can't compare to J. K. Row...
CHIMERAS
5 of 5 stars
I beta read a few chapters of a different book by this author (one that isn't out yet) so when this one was out I had to read it as it was the same character in the one a betaed a bit of--the character of Track. I have a fondness for thi...
tagged: books-i-read-to-me

goodreads.com