(Revamping the blog. Please excuse the odd headings. Working on it!)

Writing History & Mysteries

When I'm not delving into historical research, I'm planning a character's demise.

Sunday, July 07, 2013

Milk Carton Murders 18


We pretty much pick up where we left off last week. (Minus a few spoiler paragraphs.) Investigator Pepper Black is still over at Dave's house questioning his father, Hal, on his connection to the murders of the three girls 20 years earlier whose remains were found at Wiscoy Creek. Pinned to each was a piece of a milk carton with their photograph as part of the missing children campaign of the 1980s and 90s. Only problem is they are different than the ones that came from the Center. Hal worked at one point in the print shop at the dairy.

As always, the words in italics is the "other" voice in Dave's head. 

(Some creative punctuation to keep it in the 8 sentence limit.)

“You’re telling me someone who worked at the dairy switched the layouts?" said Hal. “That’s ridiculous. Why would they do that?”

“I don’t think the why is as important as the who,” Pepper answered, “and it would have to have been someone who worked in the print shop; they had to know how to do the process.”

“Well maybe the Center is missing a few of their layouts,” said Dave, “there were over 8,000 children.”
   
“I know that, and the Center can account for every single one of them,” Pepper said, “and as you pointed out, Dave, the font style on our carton pieces doesn’t match the font that the Center For Missing and Exploited Children usedeven the layout style itself is slightly different.”

Two points for Pepper, Davy boy. You better come up with something or poor, old Hal here will be spending his retirement in Attica.

***
The link to the other Weekend Writing Warriors is here. You're bound to find something to pique your interest.

The Sunday Snippet writer's on Facebook are here. Between the two there is something for everyone. Thank you for any comments you leave me. Much appreciated!

(This also serves as post #7 in the Ultimate Blog Challenge.)
*** 
BLURB:
When three small coffins are unearthed near the Wiscoy Creek during a routine dredging operation, it’s the last thing DAVE ROBERTSON, of the Lamont Weekly Times, expected. Pinned to the skeleton’s clothing are pictures from milk cartons of missing girls.

Dave is stunned to find that one of the girls is Sally―a foster child his parents had cared for through the Friends of Foster Families (FFF) program. Cold case files reveal the girls disappeared over 20 years ago. Knowing his house was the last place he saw Sally alive, he can’t help but suspect his dad.

How can he write the biggest story of his career if his father turns out to be the killer? If the voice in his head would shut up and let him remember, he might figure it out before he loses his mind and his dad is charged with murder.

Full blurb and snippet recap here.

Share:

26 comments:

  1. Ha! Omigosh, this excerpt is tense and exciting. I'd love to see the characters' expressions here. Poor Dave must be feeling so many emotions. I'm anxious to see what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the mystery set up here. The whole issue of whether the different fonts will play out like I suspect, I can't wait to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Things are starting to look bad for Hal! I can feel poor Dave's anxiety. Great excerpt and I'm looking forward to the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific tension! You've got me wondering if Hal is a red herring or a monster. Great 8!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousJuly 07, 2013

    I'd LOVE to know what happens next (hint hint)- Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the "minus a few spoiler paragraphs" LOL! This is such an engrossing story, love all the twists and turns. wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved the tension in the scene. You rocked this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Red herring, red herring. I have to read this just to see if I'm right!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Something's definitely up with the mixed up font on the cartons... nailing the psychotic killer will be satisfying and I can't wait to see how this plays out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are so many ways this could go.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oups someone should have been more careful when trying to covering his murders.

    ReplyDelete
  12. AnonymousJuly 07, 2013

    There's something very satisfying about catching a killer due to their attempt at a cover up...

    If that is even what's going to happen.

    Great tension!

    ReplyDelete
  13. But why make fake cartons? Unless . . . Hmmm . . .

    ReplyDelete
  14. So much dang tension, questions, and my need to know all the answers. I need them, lol. Great snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmm, certainly not looking good for ol' Hal is it? But I'm also thinking it might be a red herring. And Dave's voice? Hmm... shades of Psycho? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. Could be so many things, loving the suspense!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my, things are getting more tangled. Love this story, Cindy. Nicely done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. AnonymousJuly 08, 2013

    scary. I always hate things happening to kids.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So many questions. Things don't look good for Hal, but I can't help but think it's a set up. I'm liking this story.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The suspense keep building along with the mystery. Awesome, Cindy!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks everyone for taking time to comment this week.

    ReplyDelete
  22. AnonymousJuly 08, 2013

    This is NOT looking good for Hal! Really enjoying the clever details:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yours has got to be my very favorite post. Perhaps it is because I love mysteries. Perhaps it is the newspaper connection and investigation. Each week it gets deeper.

    ReplyDelete
  24. AnonymousJuly 12, 2013

    A tense scene indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  25. A mystery wrapped in a puzzle! I love it.

    ReplyDelete

Anyone can comment. You don't need to jump through hoops or be a member of anything. Nice huh?

Available in paperback and eBook formats

Available in paperback and eBook formats

Now Available At:

Barnes & Noble
Amazon
The History Press
Walmart

Carried by over 40 college/university libraries across the county, according to daily updates by worldcat.org, including Columbia University, Oklahoma State, Texas A & M, and Yale University Law Library.

Book Trailer

Weekend Writing Warriors

Weekend Writing Warriors
WeWriWa

Bread & Butter the Murders of Polly Frisch

Bread & Butter the Murders of Polly Frisch
Available on Amazon

Other Great Reads

Followers

Recent Posts

A to Z - 2015

A to Z - 2014

A to Z - 2014

A to Z - 2013

A to Z - 2013

Goodreads

Cindy's bookshelf: read

Waiting for Harvey
4 of 5 stars
Alone, in a cabin in the woods, with a ghost. Who could ask for more in a ghost story? Harvey starts right out with a hint of foreboding in a conversation between brothers John and Erik. Already my curiosity is roused as to what happened...
tagged: books-i-read-to-me
James Potter and the Curse of the Gate Keeper
3 of 5 stars
I randomly downloaded this on my iPad when I hit the wrong button being a bumble fingers, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I've never read fanfic before. It was pretty good. But like many other people, it still can't compare to J. K. Row...
CHIMERAS
5 of 5 stars
I beta read a few chapters of a different book by this author (one that isn't out yet) so when this one was out I had to read it as it was the same character in the one a betaed a bit of--the character of Track. I have a fondness for thi...
tagged: books-i-read-to-me

goodreads.com