(Revamping the blog. Please excuse the odd headings. Working on it!)

Writing History & Mysteries

When I'm not delving into historical research, I'm planning a character's demise.

Friday, July 05, 2013

There's No Such Thing as UPSTATE New York

I absolutely detest the term "Upstate" New York. Most people in western New York State feel the same way. When the term "upstate" is used, what it really means is there is New York City and "everybody else." It's an "us and them" term. It's egotistical.

Now looking at the map you can see how egotistical that really is to the point of being absurd. New York City area is this little speck hanging off the bottom of the state like a wart. A wart, that if removed, would financially benefit the western part of the state. I'm all for separation.

No offense to the residents, it wasn't your choice either to get singled out. That's the politicians fault and the medias fault. It's not your fault they don't know what north, south, east and west is or the difference between up and down, left and right. 

Now I could maybe sort of understand the headiness of it if NYC was the state capital, but it's not. That would be Albany. That's a whole other post right there because they have no clue or understanding at all of the rural communities in Western NY. You know, I think we should lop them off too, split it off right at the Hudson River like it used to be before land expansion. I think on this side of the state we would be just fine. We know how to be frugal.


This is post #5 of the Ultimate Blog Challenge.
Share:

3 comments:

  1. I never thought about the term "upstate New York." I'm not from the United States, so I didn't realize that the phrase had to do with the positioning of the rest of the state in relation to New York City. Interesting post! Personally, I dislike any geographical designations because we're all fellow humans on planet earth. All our boundaries and countries and other divisions are human-created, separation-based and egotistical, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never understood it until you explain that it's everything outside of NYC. I always wondered why the western portion was upstate. Thank you for explaining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha!! As a native Buffalonian, I agree with you one billion percent! ;-D High five, Cindy!

    ReplyDelete

Anyone can comment. You don't need to jump through hoops or be a member of anything. Nice huh?

Available in paperback and eBook formats

Available in paperback and eBook formats

Now Available At:

Barnes & Noble
Amazon
The History Press
Walmart

Carried by over 40 college/university libraries across the county, according to daily updates by worldcat.org, including Columbia University, Oklahoma State, Texas A & M, and Yale University Law Library.

Book Trailer

Weekend Writing Warriors

Weekend Writing Warriors
WeWriWa

Bread & Butter the Murders of Polly Frisch

Bread & Butter the Murders of Polly Frisch
Available on Amazon

Other Great Reads

Followers

Recent Posts

A to Z - 2015

A to Z - 2014

A to Z - 2014

A to Z - 2013

A to Z - 2013

Goodreads

Cindy's bookshelf: read

Waiting for Harvey
4 of 5 stars
Alone, in a cabin in the woods, with a ghost. Who could ask for more in a ghost story? Harvey starts right out with a hint of foreboding in a conversation between brothers John and Erik. Already my curiosity is roused as to what happened...
tagged: books-i-read-to-me
James Potter and the Curse of the Gate Keeper
3 of 5 stars
I randomly downloaded this on my iPad when I hit the wrong button being a bumble fingers, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I've never read fanfic before. It was pretty good. But like many other people, it still can't compare to J. K. Row...
CHIMERAS
5 of 5 stars
I beta read a few chapters of a different book by this author (one that isn't out yet) so when this one was out I had to read it as it was the same character in the one a betaed a bit of--the character of Track. I have a fondness for thi...
tagged: books-i-read-to-me

goodreads.com